At Hensingham we have a Nursery and Reception Class where we follow the Early Years Statutory Framework. Children learn through play, experiences and adult led learning. The classrooms are enhanced to provide exciting learning opportunities which cover the seven areas of learning. These are:
• Personal, Social and Emotional Development
• Communication and Language
• Physical Development
• Understanding of the world
• Expressive Arts and Design
We follow a two-year rolling cycle planning opportunities and experiences to enhance children’s knowledge each half term. We follow a thematic approach to allow children to be immersed in their learning. We also seek knowledge from parents to ensure we are providing opportunities based on children’s interests.
We follow the Talk 4 Writing, writing process which inspires early language development and allows children to become creative writers in an engaging and motivating way. We move from imitation to innovation to independent application. Each half term we look at high quality texts linked to our theme.
Before children can write we focus on a child’s gross and fine motor skills. When a child’s core, arms and fingers are strong they are ready to write. At Hensingham Primary School we use Read, Write, Inc. Phonics is taught daily, children learn the letter sounds enabling them to learn to blend and segment. Children are given lots of opportunities to develop mark making and writing throughout the provision. Both classes visit the library weekly. When your child has a bank of sounds and is ready we will send a reading book home. It is important when your child receives a reading book that you read with your child each night and sign their reading record.
• Children should bring a water bottle in each day. No juice please.
• Dojo is our method of communication. You can download the app on android and smart phones.
• Tapestry is the app we showcase your child’s journey.
• Children should bring their reading book to school every day and these will be changed twice a week.
• PE kits will stay in school for the half term.
• Children should bring appropriate clothing for the weather (coats, wellies, hats, scarves, sun cream, sun hats). Please make sure these are labelled.
Useful Websites to support learning at home:
Week 1 and 2
This week in EYFS we welcomed back Nursery, it has been lovely to have our nursery children in with us! We have been talking about our family and friends this week. We have had lots of fun exploring who is in our family and we have made a family tree. We talked about our emotions and we showed different emotions with our faces. We have looked at some photos from when our teachers and friends were babies \ smaller and we discussed how we have changed.
In PE we have been practicing moving like trees and animals. We have been putting this into a dance and have been dancing to music. We were moving like monkeys, birds, owls and worms. This year, EYFS is named after a willow tree so we have been learning to move like a willow tree. We have also started phonics this week and we have had fun exploring our provision.