We strive to support the emotional health and wellbeing of our pupils and staff. We recognise that everyone experiences life challenges and as a result, anyone may need additional emotional support.
At our school we:
- help children to understand their emotions and feelings.
- help children feel comfortable sharing any concerns or worries.
- help children socially to form and maintain relationships.
- promote self esteem and ensure children know that their thoughts and opinions are valued.
- help children to develop emotional resilience and to manage setbacks through developing a Growth Mindset.
Within our Mirrors and Windows reading Spin we have selection of books all centred around children’s mental health and wellbeing. These books are displayed in the school library which is accessible for all children to come and have a look at.
The emotional wellbeing of children is just as important as their physical health. Good mental health allows children and young people to develop the resilience to cope with whatever life throws at them and grow into well-rounded, healthy adults.
Things that can help keep children and young people mentally well include:
- Being in good physical health, eating a balanced diet and getting regular exercise
- Having time and the freedom to play, indoors and outdoors
- Being part of a family that gets along well most of the time
- Going to a school that looks after the wellbeing of all its pupils
- Taking part in local activities for young people.
Other factors are also important, including:
- Feeling loved, trusted, understood, valued and safe
- Being interested in life and having opportunities to enjoy themselves
- Being hopeful and optimistic
- Being able to learn and having opportunities to succeed
- Accepting who they are and recognising what they are good at
- Having a sense of belonging in their family, school and community
- Feeling they have some control over their own life
- Having the strength to cope when something is wrong (resilience) and the ability to solve problems.
Useful Links for parents:
Every Mind Matters
Save the Children – Relaxation techniques stress-busters-from-our-heart-program (1)
Action for Children